Ah. I've only just got access to internet - here are my quickly typed notes from SMX London, Day One.
Great event. Here's how it's different from SES
- Less 'clients'
- Less advertising
- Higher knowledge
- Cleaner, neater, more organised (I think Rising Media have done well)
- We're going to see more from Google Trends - development is largely driven by Tel Aviv
- Images and Maps have been widely pushed out into Universal Search. Google started rolling Universal Search out across the regions.
- Book Search outranks Blog Search - we'll see Book Search in Universal Search first* - *This is due, I think, to authority of author
- Google changed some elements of openSocial after they got to see some of the aspects of Facebook's API
- What you once knew as a website is now a container.
- There are some hints that openSocial could be used as a platform to a 'Universal log in' - Google didn't say this, this was me reading between two heavily drawn lines.
- Android is primarily a way to give mobile users better access to the internet
- Less than 1% of internet content is in Arabic. Google sees an opportunity here.
- Google has invested hugely in Russian projects but not advertising.